Skip to main content

Because it's Valentine's Day

Earlier this morning, while I was ruminating on the topic I was going to write about, a friend walked up to me and asked if I had any plans for tomorrow. At first, I wondered what was so special about tomorrow to make her ask me about my plans, then it hit me, "Valentine's Day". People have been posting about it all week but I didn't really pay attention to it, seeing as I live alone and I have nobody to spend it with. So I told this friend of mine that I had zero plans and that I wasn't even sure if that was going to change, since almost every restaurant, mall and what have you in this town would be packed.

I really wasn't interested in putting myself through the stress of waiting in line at a crowded restaurant to buy myself something I can always get on a good day just because I want to celebrate Valentine's day.
All I had in mind was to sit in my room, read a book or two, listen to music and just zone out, retreat into my own world.

When this friend of mine left me, I started thinking about why exactly I needed to go out tomorrow, what exactly made tomorrow more special than every other day? Why did everyone around me feel the need to spend money they didn't really have just to fit into the status quo?

While the true history of Valentine's day is shrouded in mystery for most people, I do know that it is a day of love. To me, love doesn't always have to be merely sexual or romantic. To me, love is sacrificial, love is pure. There are so many different ways of celebrating love that don't have to involve pointlessly burning cash that can be put to good use. Why not do something worth remembering for someone who really needs it? Isn't love all about putting smiles on the faces of people who need it?
You can spend time with your girlfriend/boyfriend and still make a difference.

It wouldn't be so bad if you and your partner used part of the money you'd have otherwise burnt to buy foodstuffs and donate to an orphanage near you. You could also take a couple of indigent children to a "mama put" or "bukah" near you and feed them. Let them have full bellies, even if only for a day. Let their faces be lit up with smiles even if only for a day.

You could even decide to donate blood to someone who desperately needs it at a hospital near you. You don't really have to do these things alone, take your partner, the loyl, with you. You'd be doing a good deed and bonding with your love at the same time. Not to mention the fact that the object of your affection will see you in a different light, and if he/she cannot see the sense in what you're doing, then perhaps, you should rethink your choice of partners.

Love is about giving and sharing, love is sacrificial, love is not selfish. I would have said you should take a minute to ponder on what I've said but hey, what do I know?

Happy Valentine's Day people.

Comments

  1. Well pieced ...I love the reality it holds

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ur a great writer weirdo like I said full package

    ReplyDelete
  3. To me tho Valentine's day is a scam... Love doesn't choose a day to be celebrated or performed... This is the reason why there's little to no love in the society because everyone is waiting for a particular day to show love... Love is something that should be showed everyday. Love never fails and it endures all things. Love is kind. And love is something we should try to cultivate in this loveless society we live in.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

About Relationships

Most times, many of us get into relationships, unsure of our emotions or what we really want to gain out of the relationship. We don't really sit down to weigh our present circumstances and how said circumstances would affect our relationships and vice-versa. Most of us, teenagers and young adults, allow ourselves to be swayed and carried by the fast flowing river of our emotions. The resulting effect of these can be seen in the numerous failed relationships many of us get into before even reaching adulthood or maturity. As a result of this immaturity, we also discover that many of us are unable to keep on having a normal functional friendship with our exes, reason being that we never sat down to really define our relationships before rushing into them. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's compulsory to continue being friends with your ex after breaking up, but sometimes, the main reason why you find it difficult to continue being friends with your ex is that outsi

For the love of music

You know that moment when you're just sitting in a car or bus, lost in your thoughts and suddenly an old song you used to love comes on. In that moment, every other thing fades into the background of your mind, it's like it's just you and the music. What makes that moment more special is when there's someone else with you who can feel exactly what you feel, it could be a friend, a sibling or even a random stranger. Just knowing that there's someone else who can relate to the music is enough to bring a smile to your face. I'm sure that all of us, at one point or the other in our lives have experienced this unexplainable feeling of ecstasy and nostalgia that music brings. When I was in secondary school, my music teacher said, "music is a combination of sounds that is pleasant to the ear", I don't think so. I think music is more than just an ordinary combination of pleasant sounds, I think music is magic. I believe music is joy, I believe music is m

Dear Secret Anonymous Crush...

Hi everyone. It's May again. This past week was a rollercoaster of emotions for me. The major problem I had was making up my mind about what to write, which was quickly solved when my crush texted me and now I know, that I don't like missing people. I don't like knowing that I miss someone. I don't do well with the knowledge that I miss someone. There's this squishy, uncomfortable feeling I get in my chest when I realize that I miss someone. It's even harder when I'm fighting it. Distance makes it easy sometimes, because at first, you miss the person so much and you get used to it. You tell yourself that "yes, I've stayed a few days without talking to this person or seeing this person, I can stay a few more, I won't die". It will hurt, yes, but slowly you learn to just be. What I hate most of all, is learning to be without a person, struggling to be without this person, convincing myself that I'm free or that I don't want this pe