Skip to main content

We are all racist.

We are all racist, stop fighting it. Just accept it.

Remember when we were little and we would watch all these movies about how a Yoruba mother didn't want her son to marry an Igbo woman or how an Ijaw man didn't want his daughter to marry a Hausa man? Sometimes, they didn't even have to be from different tribes, they could be of the same tribe, just from different villages. You'd hear things like "don't marry him, our village doesn't marry from that village".
In my hometown in Edo state, there are certain villages where I'm not allowed to marry from even though we're all from the same local government, even though we speak the same language.

Tribalism is something that runs so deeply, so freely in our veins that it's almost now part of our culture, here in Africa and yet, we're always so quick to call the white man evil and spit on him for treating black men as slaves or lesser beings. A lot of us have forgotten that some of those who were sold as slaves to the white man were sacrificed by their very own people. The slave trade is something that has been in our history for years. When you read up on African history, you'll realize that even before the white man came, several villages had certain groups of people they called outcasts, who were not allowed to mix with normal people, they were seen as inferior. They were kept as servants, possessions to be used and discarded at will, some were kept as sacrifices for the gods. They weren't even regarded as human beings and they still had the same color of skin as the same people they served.

Personally, I think that the main reason why we're able to call the white man racist is because he beat us to the chase and he was smart about it. Generations before the white man's invasion, Africans had been engaged in tribal wars and raids where they tried to conquer neighboring villages and regarded them as inferior. If the black man had been the one to invade the white men first, there's a very high chance that he would have been the one doing the colonization and enslaving. The only thing he lacked was the opportunity and resources to do it first.

My point is, we really should stop screaming at the white man for what he did and think about a way to move forward because none of us are really better. Till now, we still harbor prejudices against people of other tribes just because of a few minor differences in custom and tradition despite the fact that we all have the same skin color and we're of the same race.

The problem really isn't with a particular race, the problem is humanity itself. The nature of man is inherently evil. His natural instincts tell him to subdue his fellow man and make him submit, to dominate, to rule, to plunder.

I think that if we could all just learn to understand, to realize that no race is more evil than the other, to accept that we are all equally capable of evil and destruction, if we could just try to stop pointing fingers at others for crimes that we ourselves are capable of, we'd have taken the first step to moving forward, to peace and acceptance.

The worst thing you could ever do to yourself is to lie to yourself, accept that you're really not as holy or as good as you think you are and maybe, just maybe, we can finally move forward. Thank you for reading. Have a pleasant week.

Be kind.

©May

Comments

  1. For real ... there's a whole lotta reforms we gotta start from within ourselves before we go around picking an external battle.

    Africa needs amthorough psychological revamp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Africans feel like as long as it's not black VS white, it's not regarded as racism not knowing that the African mentality of tribalism is unmistakably part of it. Nice write up May! We need to be aware of this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The problem isn't you. It isn't me. It's us.{Insert "almighty pepe" sticker here.}

    ReplyDelete
  4. When Senghor, the first black president of Sengal said this, he was seen as a Jim Crow but it's the truth actually. We're all racists and tribalists in our own ways.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is a well written piece.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

About Relationships

Most times, many of us get into relationships, unsure of our emotions or what we really want to gain out of the relationship. We don't really sit down to weigh our present circumstances and how said circumstances would affect our relationships and vice-versa. Most of us, teenagers and young adults, allow ourselves to be swayed and carried by the fast flowing river of our emotions. The resulting effect of these can be seen in the numerous failed relationships many of us get into before even reaching adulthood or maturity. As a result of this immaturity, we also discover that many of us are unable to keep on having a normal functional friendship with our exes, reason being that we never sat down to really define our relationships before rushing into them. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's compulsory to continue being friends with your ex after breaking up, but sometimes, the main reason why you find it difficult to continue being friends with your ex is that outsi

For the love of music

You know that moment when you're just sitting in a car or bus, lost in your thoughts and suddenly an old song you used to love comes on. In that moment, every other thing fades into the background of your mind, it's like it's just you and the music. What makes that moment more special is when there's someone else with you who can feel exactly what you feel, it could be a friend, a sibling or even a random stranger. Just knowing that there's someone else who can relate to the music is enough to bring a smile to your face. I'm sure that all of us, at one point or the other in our lives have experienced this unexplainable feeling of ecstasy and nostalgia that music brings. When I was in secondary school, my music teacher said, "music is a combination of sounds that is pleasant to the ear", I don't think so. I think music is more than just an ordinary combination of pleasant sounds, I think music is magic. I believe music is joy, I believe music is m

Dear Secret Anonymous Crush...

Hi everyone. It's May again. This past week was a rollercoaster of emotions for me. The major problem I had was making up my mind about what to write, which was quickly solved when my crush texted me and now I know, that I don't like missing people. I don't like knowing that I miss someone. I don't do well with the knowledge that I miss someone. There's this squishy, uncomfortable feeling I get in my chest when I realize that I miss someone. It's even harder when I'm fighting it. Distance makes it easy sometimes, because at first, you miss the person so much and you get used to it. You tell yourself that "yes, I've stayed a few days without talking to this person or seeing this person, I can stay a few more, I won't die". It will hurt, yes, but slowly you learn to just be. What I hate most of all, is learning to be without a person, struggling to be without this person, convincing myself that I'm free or that I don't want this pe